Thursday, February 14, 2008

Fresh Green Beans

What happens when you pull out a bag of fresh green beans and invite one daughter to help you prepare them? It becomes a family affair!

Notice C as he shoots and scores his green bean like shooting a basket! LOL

We had a great time around the kitchen island snapping green beans. In the process of instructing my children on how to prepare fresh green beans we began to talk about how fresh vegetables always tasted better. This led to a discussion on gardening and now the kids are in the process of planning a raised garden. They have already scoped out any spare wood we have and are researching what kind of sun, water, shade each vegetable needs so they can pick the ideal spot to plan. We gathered all the books we have on gardening and we ended up with quite a few.

I think we will go the "Square Foot Gardening" route.

It will be a good project for them to do. My oldest has wanted to do a garden for years and has had some success with container gardening. I will keep you updated on their progress.

4 comments:

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

I wonder.....I wonder if we could plant something in our very small yard....

Christina Holsclaw said...

That is great. When we go the the grocery store I have to keep a very close eye on my 10 yo son as we pass the produse section with the green beans because he LOVES to snap them! LOL He just can't help himself (he is usually very well behaved, for a 10 yo boy)even though I have explained to him that is someone elses food. So I bought some green bean seeds and we are going to plant them inside with a grow light. His eyes light up when I told him!

Gilda said...

DeEtta,
We have a large back yard but in that yard are 2 large dogs! We will see how they meet that challenge! I would highly recommend the "Square Foot Gardening" or the "Container Gardening" Method. They don't need much space.

Gilda said...

Christy,
I am going to have to watch my youngest as we go through the produce aisle now. He didn't show any great passion for snapping them, but he LOVED them raw! LOL!