Sunday, June 01, 2008

Good and Faithful Servant

Today in worship our communion talk was about Peter walking on the water (Matthew 14:22-36). It was pointed out that so often we think we are safest in the boat during a storm. But Peter was truly in the better, or should I say safest, place when he was walking on the water in the midst of a storm. Why? Because he was with Jesus. There is no safer place to be.
Peter knew that Jesus asking him to walk on water was scary. He knew it was impossible and he knew the only way he could do it was with Jesus.
The young man giving our communion talk called himself a "math" guy and so he summed it up with this little formula:
A little faith + God = The Impossible!
I have a precious friend, no a sister who is in the midst of the storm. She has been walking in this storm for the last 4 weeks. Her daughter has been in the Intensive Care Unit very, very sick. Several times during this hospitalization she has been in an emergency situation and held onto life with medicine, machines but mostly with the prayers of many petitioning God.
Throughout this time Kimberly has prayed without ceasing. Much of the time it has been through tears. She is scared, she knows that what she has been called to do is impossible, but, she knows that the only way she can do it is with Christ. She is walking on water because she is keeping her eyes on Jesus. At times the storm overwhelms her and she begins to sink. But, she knows who her Savior is and crys out to Him and He lifts her up again. She is in the midst of the storm walking on water. But she is safer than all of us because she is where she knows she needs to be. She is in the midst of the storm but, she is with Jesus.
She feels weak and pulled and stained. But she is walking on top of the water because she is focused and completely dependant on Christ.
This is for you precious sister-friend because I see what you cannot right now. I see you walking on water because you are surrendering all.
After communion we sang "I surrender All". All I could think of was how perfect this song described you right now.

All to Jesus, I surrender
All to Him I freely give.
I will ever love and trust Him,
In His presence daily live.

I surrender all.
I surrender all.
All to thee my precious Saviour,
I surrender all.

I know our Lord is saying "Well done, good and faithful servant. Well done!"
I love you Kimberly. Keep doing the impossible. Keep walking on water as you keep your eyes on Jesus.

No comments: