Friday, January 23, 2009

Today was a better day.

Yesterday we had a pretty bad scare. My dd J had a migraine headache. So did I so I was not surprised. She began throwing up pretty violently so we decided to give her phenergan so we could ease her stomach enough to give her some pain meds. She fell right to sleep. As I had already taken pain meds, so did I. My oldest A realized I was not in very good shape and neither was J so she called her dad and he came home. Thank God she did this. While I was sleeping and thought J was sleeping she had stumbled downstairs. Phillip found her on the couch. When he asked her how she was doing she could not talk and was making no sense so Phillip came and woke me up. He brought her to me and her tongue wasn't working, she couldn't talk and she was not making sense. We immediately called the doctor. While on the phone they told us to give her benedryl, which we did. We noticed that her right arm was no longer working and it was "posturing" (held in a position she could not change). This is a neurological sign. At this point the nurse had us hang up and call 911.
When the ambulance got her the paramedics checked her over and wanted us to send her to the hospital. No problem. I could not go as I was still very ill so Phillip hopped in the ambulance but they made him sit in the front seat. They were not going very fast and had only one light flashing so it seemed okay at that point. Then Phillip heard movement in the back of the ambulance and one of the guys told them that everything was fine but to bump it up. So, all the lights and sirens came on and they were speeding to the hospital. Once at the hospital she was already starting to do better. While in the ambulance she could not answer simply questions like, name, age, birthdate or answered wrong. She told them she was 9??? She was talking more clearly in the ER but her arm was not working well. It was working some. They did a CT Scan to rule out any brain problems and she was fine.
She is allergic to phenergan. She was sent home with a different med for nausea.
Today she is back to her same bubbly self but a bit sleepy. She had an awful lot of medicine pumped into her yesterday.
It was definitely not the way we had planned our day but the Lord was fully aware of it. There were so many things that just fell into place.
A called her dad to come home and he could come home.
For some reason J stumbled downstairs.
Phil checked on her just at the right time.
With me sleeping and thinking she was upstairs sleeping there would have been no reason for me to go check on her. She could have had this reaction and no one would have known.
I could not have gone with her to the hospital even if I had called 911, if Phillip weren't home I don't know what we would have done.
God had it taken care of. We had so many people praying and all turned out well. Thank you to everyone who lifted her up to the Great Physician. She has always been in His hands and that is a strong tower of protection for her.

6 comments:

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Praise God for His awesome protection and care of you and yours.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that J is better. It is so neat to see that God is in all the details of our lives.And I am so thankful for the answered prayers in this situation.

hugs to you and J!

Pam said...

What incredible mercy. As I read through all of the details I just became more and more thankful! Rejoicing with you for God's protection and mercy!

Anita M. said...

So glad J is doing better. I am assumming that you are too. God's timing is so amazing and how he works things out like A making calls and DH coming home.

Gilda said...

God truly is the one who watches over our children. So proud of A and her forthought and how God orchestrated everything.
We are all much recovered and enjoyed a family evening together.

Cynthia said...

Glad it all turned out well.