Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Big Girls Don't Whine

Today for the first time in a long time I was just grumpy. I had to fight my irritability at every turn. Sometimes I succeeded, others I did not. I have been tired all day and, well, just plain grumpy. When all the kids were in bed and Phillip off to work I decided to catch up on some work on the computer and this just jumped out at me. It is a list of what it means to be a "Big Girl" as opposed to a "Little Girl" from the book titled Big Girls Don't Whine . Today I fought to be a "Big Girl". I hate to confess this about myself but it is true. I was aware of my grumpiness which led to selfishness and fought it all day. For the most part, I succeeded. As I read this I laughed and sighed. I showed qualities of both a Little Girl and a Big Girl today. I think we all know those who struggle with being the "Little Girl" most of the time. If you recognize this to be you, don't despair. There is also a list of what it means to be a Big Girl. Read it and be glad! But, I thought I would pass this along as food for thought for those days that we have to battle our own selfishness, those days that our "Little Girl" battles to come out. I think I will keep this list handy in case "one of those days" creeps up again.

From the book titled, Big Girls Don’t Whine. Here are a few excepts from the book.

The Big Girl knows that her capacity to think is her greatest asset. Mature thinking produces mature living, and of course childish thinking produces childish living. You have only to stop and observe how the children you know think, and you will see the problem.

A Big Girl is consistent in the way she responds. You don’t have to wonder what she will do or say. You don’t have to worry on pins and needles about what kind of mood she will be in. You know what you can count on where a Big Girl is concerned.

That characteristic sets the Big Girl apart from a Little Girl. Unlike the Big Girl, the Little Girl is inconsistent in her responses to life and people. Moodiness, self-absorption, and fragile emotions characterize the Little Girl. As a consequence, one really can’t know what to expect from her-except the unexpected.

Children (little girls) don’t think things through to their natural conclusion. They see only what is immediate.

They don’t think about how their actions will affect others.

They are unable to see more than one side to any situation.

They take things personally. “She hurt my feelings.”

They really like it best when “it’s all about me.”

They are better manipulators than negotiators. They learn early how to manipulate and whom to manipulate.

They like fairy tales where good guys always win, bad guys always lose, and everyone lives happily ever after.

They tire easily and allow fatigue to affect their general attitude and demeanor.

They do not know what is best for them, although they may protest loudly when they fail to get what they want.

Here are some ways to challenge your thinking as a Big Girl in process.

Big girls think things through to their natural conclusion. They see not only the present but the future as well.

Big girls think about how their actions will affect others.

Big girls can see more than one side to any situation.

Big girls don’t take things personally.

Big girls understand that life is never “all about me.”

Big girls are good, fair, and reasonable negotiators.

Big girls may like fairy tales, but they like true stories, too, and are well aware of the difference.

Big girls may tire, but they don’t allow their fatigue to control their general attitude and demeanor.

Big girls know what is best for them and are disciplined enough to go after it.

Big Girls overlook transgressions. They don’t spend a lot of time on the little stuff. They cut each other a lot of slack. Big Girls take the high road.

Other chapters cover: How a Big Girl speaks, Wisdom for Big Girl Wives, Savvy for Big Girl Moms, Freedom for Big Girl friends, Courage for Big Girls facing conflict, Stability for Big Girls in Crisis and Leaving a Godly legacy.

In reality I think it comes down to living by the Spirit or living in the flesh.

My counsel is this: Live freely, animated and motivated by God’s Spirit. Then you won’t feed the compulsions of selfishness. For there is a root of sinful self-interest in us that is at odds with a free spirit, just as the free spirit is incompatible with selfishness. These two ways of life are antithetical, so that you cannot live at times one way and at times another way according to how you feel on any given day. Why don’t you choose to be led by the Spirit and so escape the erratic compulsions of a law-dominated existence?
Galatians:16-18

No comments: