Thursday, March 20, 2008

The First Day of Spring


"If spring came but once a century instead of once a year, or burst forth with the sound of an earthquake and not in silence, what wonder and expectation there would be in all hearts to behold the miraculous change. " -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Today is the first day of Spring. I have always seen Spring as the miraculous change noted above. Spring brings newness of life to the earth.
My husband says I am a plant. In the winter months I wither. I want to curl up and not move. Anytime the sun breaks through and shines through the windows I am drawn to it. I can be sagging along but walk through a ray of sunshine and be drawn to it like a flower. When spring comes I come alive. I have far more energy and joy just radiates from me. So, I celebrate this first day of Spring even if it is from my bedroom as I recover.
But Spring means more to me than just a superficial newness of life. It is my life's blood as it reminds me of the new life that Christ brought to us all. In Roman's 1:20
it states...

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.

The seasons speak the Good News of God. It shows the death of so many things in the winter but then in the dawning of Spring it reminds us of how death is overcome. Death is not the end it is simply the step before the newness of life. It is when our true life begins.
So many things come alive in Spring. So many long for spring to come. In Christ we can have the eternal Spring that brings life to all who call on His name as Lord and Savior. So, let us open our eyes to the invisible qualities of God that can be seen in this new season. It is the sun that brings newness of life back to plants. It is the Son that brings newness of life back to me.

Below are a few more spring quotes that I received in my email this morning. I thought I would share them with you.

"Spring shows what God can do with a drab and dirty world."-- Virgil A. Kraft

"If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant; if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome."-- Anne Bradstreet
How true this quote is. It is in our struggles and trials that we are able to see the blessings and prosperity that we truly have.

3 comments:

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Great thoughts, thanks.

Anonymous said...

I'm probably the same way as you. I finally got out to cut back the dead plants that the rattlesnake crawled through last December! I was listening for rattles the whole time. The weather was gorgeous. I really got into it. I bought oodles of fresh plants. I dug up sun loving plants that are now miraculously covered by shady trees. And I injured my right wrist. Ouch! =0
Blessings,
Laurie

Gilda said...

Oh Laurie,
I hope your wrist is healing. I want to get to the yard and gardening but know I can't for awhile yet. I would love to get new plants and flowers out. Maybe I will get my kids out and just direct them. Just not the same though!